My photo
I love food. I love cooking. I love sharing food. It's the one gift you can give someone that they take inside of themselves and forever becomes a part of them. Food is more than fuel. It's a feeling, a memory, a cure, a gift, a toy..... My recipes aren't exact. There's room for substitutions, discovery, experimentation and play. Anything can be healthy with a few tweaks, or comforting with a few more. Many of my recipies are veggie friendly with just the omittance of meat, never lacking in flavour. The sky is the limit -Variety is the spice of life!

Wednesday, February 1, 2012

A no-wisdom teeth Vegetarian feast


Today I received a "blog challenge" from a friend at work. I love a challenge! Her fiancé is having his wisdom teeth pulled, and she wondered if I had any ideas on some good but soft vegetarian fare. Ooohhhh....good challenge....

The first thing that comes to mind: soup. But there has to be a more creative way around this. So, I pondered, flexed my culinary grey matter, and concocted some ideas. I haven't tested these, but am basing my theories off my palate, ability...and an imagination for food. Read on...Soup "No-Dumpling" Dumplings, hearty Gratin, Sweet Potato Benedict, and Foster!


Let's start with some main courses!

No-dumpling dumplings in spicy broth:
A vegetable broth spiked with tamari, red wine vinegar, chili oil, garlic powder, sesame oil, a dash of sugar then simmered with green onions and finely chopped mushrooms is a good start. If the mushrooms don't become soft enough, the base can be puréed lightly. But not so it gets thick. Then, add some finely diced wonton wrappers and simmer till super soft. At the end, whisk in beaten egg or small diced tofu and voila - no-dumpling dumplings.

Sweet potato Benedict:
I love eggs Benedict...who says that just because you don't have all your teeth you can't enjoy it too? Not I!
This hollandaise is super yummy, and decadent. It takes a little patience, however. Melt a few tablespoons of butter in a double boiler. Whisk in 2 egg yolks, continuing to whisk til it becomes emulsified and creamy. Do this on low heat so it doesn't scramble - add water if it becomes too thick. Then add a dash of salt, white pepper, paprika, garlic, cream of tartar (my secret) and lemon juice. Top a very roasted and pre-smashed sweet potato with a poached egg, Then top with sauce, and garnish with fresh dill.

Lentil and broccoli gratin:
I try my hardest to not overcook broccoli - its such a superb veg! But in this case, it's a must. But - that doesn't mean we can't give it flavor first....
Roast the broccoli with some salt, pepper, lemon juice, garlic powder (easier than chunks), and oil (just til the tips lightly brown - we unfortunately aren't going for texture). But the flavor from roasting will get things going in the right direction. Then finish off with a steam til it's pretty soft. A good dice may be in order, or the patient may like cutting it themselves. It's like eating "real" food that way. Stir this into red cooked lentils. Then top it off with with creme fraiche, Parmesan or tofu crumbles (spiked with dill, salt, turmeric and garlic). Broil this off until a good carmelization forms on the top. More dill or a dash of lemon and salt for garnish would be a great finish.


Just a little sweetness?

Quick tofu bananas foster:
Ok, this is just a quickie for a break for the palate. Lightly blend silken tofu, then stir in chunks of very ripe banana, cinnamon, nutmeg, a dash of brandy, a dash of vanilla, a pinch of salt, and a touch of maple syrup. Finish with a drizzle of more syrup, and bake til warm. A broil at the end will make the top all nice and caramelized. Ok, ok, some ice cream on top wouldn't hurt.


I hope I met the challenge! If I think of more I will surely share. Happy healing!

1 comment:

  1. You rock! :D I'm definitely going to give these a shot - I'll let you know what the patient thinks ;)

    ReplyDelete