My photo
I love food. I love cooking. I love sharing food. It's the one gift you can give someone that they take inside of themselves and forever becomes a part of them. Food is more than fuel. It's a feeling, a memory, a cure, a gift, a toy..... My recipes aren't exact. There's room for substitutions, discovery, experimentation and play. Anything can be healthy with a few tweaks, or comforting with a few more. Many of my recipies are veggie friendly with just the omittance of meat, never lacking in flavour. The sky is the limit -Variety is the spice of life!

Monday, February 13, 2012

Food for thought: Mastering the Shirataki noodle


When it comes to Shirataki noodles, there are two types of folks (typically). Those who have had them, and those who haven't. Most who fall in the former category will exclaim: "Oh gross! They taste like ass!"
That's where I come in.

These mysterious zero calorie noodles can be so delicious; cravable, even - but there's a trick to handling them. They are the only noodle I use in my ramen soups, and these soups are even kid approved.

Stick with me - they will blow your mind. I will use a ramen style soup for my example.

Prepping the noodles
Drain the noodles from the watery broth they come in.


Rinse them well in a strainer, separating the noodles with your hands. Use scissors to cut them in half. Then boil them for a minimum of 10 minutes with a dash of tamari, a bay leaf, ginger, or other seasoning that will compliment your dish.

Cooking the noodles
Strain really well, rinse again, and sautée in a nonstick pan with a bit of olive oil. You want them to dry a bit. I then add seasonings that will compliment the dish - the noodles suck up whatever flavor they are cooked with. For soup, I like a drizzle of tamari, lime, fresh garlic, and cilantro or basil or leeks.


For this ramen I opted for a thin steak cut, which I set aside in a bowl with spinach.


Then add broth (It's easy to make your own!) to the noodles, with your preferred seasonings and garnish. I like furikake (Japanese seasoning with seaweed and toasted sesame seeds) and a bit of chili oil and sesame oil, with a dash of dashi (a Japanese stock base made from seaweed and dried tuna. Delish!), and fresh mushrooms (that wilt in the hot broth). The seasonings can be found in the Asian section of your local international store, are super affordable, and a staple for those who like to play with Asian cuisine.

I then pour the soup over the beef and spinach. The hot broth cooks the thin sliced meat to tender perfection. Enjoy, and know the only calories consumed come not from carb laden noodles, but your healthy broth, veg, and lean protein!


Hope this helps dissolve the mystery of Shirataki noodles...happy eating!

1 comment:

  1. How did I not smell this delightfulness next door?!? LoL!!!

    ReplyDelete