My photo
I love food. I love cooking. I love sharing food. It's the one gift you can give someone that they take inside of themselves and forever becomes a part of them. Food is more than fuel. It's a feeling, a memory, a cure, a gift, a toy..... My recipes aren't exact. There's room for substitutions, discovery, experimentation and play. Anything can be healthy with a few tweaks, or comforting with a few more. Many of my recipies are veggie friendly with just the omittance of meat, never lacking in flavour. The sky is the limit -Variety is the spice of life!

Sunday, January 8, 2012

Homemade stock - quick version

Homemade stock is the best. You can control the salt content, ingredients, richness...and it's a handy way to use all of your "scraps"' so nothing goes to waste. Whenever I chop veggies, I keep the good scraps in a big plastic bag in the freezer. Mushrooms on the edge, green onion ends, carrot tops, beet tops...fresh herbs that are just about to give up before I have time to use them - it all goes in there.


I throw this all in my pressure cooker with a bouquet garni (I use what's on hand: usually kosher salt, garlic, bay leaf, thyme, & peppercorn) and some water (til the veg is submerged). For extra oomph I'll sometimes add some stock I have already prepared.





After it comes to pressure, I usually cook it for 20 minutes. If cooking in a traditional pot, I try to simmer for up to 6 hours or so, or less - depending on how the flavor has developed and how much I'm making. After it's given all it can give, the stock gets strained and portioned out into 1 cup and 2 cup portions and frozen. Super easy! It's nice also to reserve a couple of cups and reduce it down even further, til it reduces by half or more - and freeze into ice cubes (then store in a baggy or the like). It makes for a quick and easy demiglace icecube that you can use to make a pansauce, punch up a soup base - eat as a snack...(kidding. Go for it though, it's healthy!) The veggie broth makes for a good base to start a quick meat broth as well. Nothing is better than a soup or risotto made from homemade stock! In cooking school, we will go over the long "proper" method later. Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. Agreed! It's one of my favorite things to cook. I will definitely have to share some of those recipies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great tip and in the pressure cooker to boot! I'm doing this soon!

    ReplyDelete