My photo
I love food. I love cooking. I love sharing food. It's the one gift you can give someone that they take inside of themselves and forever becomes a part of them. Food is more than fuel. It's a feeling, a memory, a cure, a gift, a toy..... My recipes aren't exact. There's room for substitutions, discovery, experimentation and play. Anything can be healthy with a few tweaks, or comforting with a few more. Many of my recipies are veggie friendly with just the omittance of meat, never lacking in flavour. The sky is the limit -Variety is the spice of life!

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Crème fraîche

You are going to kick yourself this is so easy.
  • Get a jar.
  • Add 1 cup of whole cream. (And trust me, not "low fat")
  • Add a tablespoon of buttermilk. (Again, not low fat. We aren't drinking the stuff, so go "all in".)
  • Shake.
  • Let sit on counter for 24 hours. (I know, it's weird. But it'll be ok. Plus, don't you love an element of danger in your life?)
  • Open, stir, and tell people how fancy you are because you make your own crème fraiche. (Then you can refrigerate. It'll keep for two weeks! If it lasts that long....)


What can you do with it? What can't you do with it!
Try adding to a brown sauce to make it sexy. Or, drizzle on soups for a creamy garnish. Would you put sour cream in it? Try adding the crème. It's tangier, a little softer, and a fun way to play with your food.
Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment