My photo
I love food. I love cooking. I love sharing food. It's the one gift you can give someone that they take inside of themselves and forever becomes a part of them. Food is more than fuel. It's a feeling, a memory, a cure, a gift, a toy..... My recipes aren't exact. There's room for substitutions, discovery, experimentation and play. Anything can be healthy with a few tweaks, or comforting with a few more. Many of my recipies are veggie friendly with just the omittance of meat, never lacking in flavour. The sky is the limit -Variety is the spice of life!

Saturday, January 14, 2012

Salsa three ways

I love the moment when the spice high kicks in...your eyes glaze over...the world becomes a softer, more gentler place...

I've even been questioned about drinking during lunch after returning from eating 5 star Thai. With a silly grin on my face, and glisten on my brow, I explain that I was merely eating Thai food - which is typically responded to with a knowledgable nod, an "ahhhh...." and a smile.

Those who know me know that my 5 stars is really the universe.

That's what's great about the salsa 3 ways - there's something for everyone, no matter how much spice you crave. We will begin with the "Mother", and a lot of it! The Mother is mild, fresh, and the base salsa. She gets her bite from crisp onion. You can stop there, or use some of the Mother and create the medium salsa - a smokey roasted jalapeño with chipotle. (Don't get scared! We tame them. And you don't have to use as many as I do.) And if you're game, you can then use more of the Mother to make the vinegary, fruity, and wonderfully spicy hot roasted habanero. Oh yeah.....my mouth just started watering.

Now, this recipe will yield about 16 -18 or more cups of salsa, even if you stop at the Mother or decide to make all three. If you make all three you will still have quite a bit of the Mother salsa left - and trust me, it won't be around for long. Try this: make salsa 3 ways and bring it all to a get together. You will leave very, very sad. Why? Because they will eat. It. All.

Let's get to it then! The only special equipment I use is a food processor. But I've also made this by chopping everything by hand. It takes longer, but it gives you more time to dance to some music in the kitchen and sip a beer while you make it. (It's one of the secret ingredients! I actually had someone tell me they could taste the fact that I danced and enjoyed a Corona while making it!)

I do roast the chilies for the mild and hot salsas. You can roast the green chilies for the Mother, too - but I typically use canned - it still comes out fresh and yummy. Another tip: if dicing the chilies in a food processor for the medium and hot, add a bit of the Mother to help get things moving.


For the Mother, you will need:
  • 16 cups tomatoes, diced (if canned, drain)
  • 1 white onion, finely diced
  • 2 1/2 - 3 cups green chilies, diced (or three 7 ounce cans)
  • 1 bunch green onion, diced
  • 1 bunch cilantro, finely chopped
  • 8 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
  • Lime juice to taste
  • Salt and pepper to taste
All you do: combine the above in a big bowl. Taste - adjust salt and pepper if necessary. You will notice, if she is made and then served fresh, she will have a bit of water - this tightens up if she is allowed to sit overnight. But waiting isn't necessary!


To roast the peppers for the next two, sprinkle them with olive oil, chili powder and garlic powder. Roast in a shallow pan in the oven at 375. Check them after 10 minutes - maybe turn them as they blacken. Once they are good and roasted, they are ready to join in on the fun.

For the smokey chipotle jalapeño medium, mix together:.

  • 2 1/2 cups of the Mother
  • 3 jalapeños roasted, finely diced, tops removed (the flavor will mellow if left overnight after preparing. To further mellow the flavor, slice them open and remove the seeds by gently scraping)
  • 3 tsp. chipotle seasoning
  • Lime juice to taste (even though the Mother has lime, a little more acid helps round out the smokey flavor)
  • Salt and pepper to taste
For the habanero hot, mix together:
  • 7 roasted habaneros - seeds and all, tops removed, finely diced
  • 1 1/2 cups of the Mother
  • 2 tbs. rice wine vinegar
  • Lime juice to taste
  • Salt and pepper to taste
The flavor will knock your socks off. Habanero has a great slightly fruity and flavorful spice to it.
For a quick guacamole, I mix lightly cubed avocado with one or a combo of the above salsas, and a couple dollops of plain yogurt or mayo (the olive oil one is awesome) with extra lime juice and salt thrown in.

Until next time! May the spice force be with you.....

No comments:

Post a Comment