My photo
I love food. I love cooking. I love sharing food. It's the one gift you can give someone that they take inside of themselves and forever becomes a part of them. Food is more than fuel. It's a feeling, a memory, a cure, a gift, a toy..... My recipes aren't exact. There's room for substitutions, discovery, experimentation and play. Anything can be healthy with a few tweaks, or comforting with a few more. Many of my recipies are veggie friendly with just the omittance of meat, never lacking in flavour. The sky is the limit -Variety is the spice of life!

Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Zucchini with egg


You know this dish is good, because it's one my Mom would make it for me. (Hi Mom!)

Whenever I eat it, I can't help but make those "mmmm yummy" noises.


Try it.
I bet you make those noises too.
Yes, and it even counts if you make them in your head where no one can hear.

It's a delicious, healthy vegetarian dish (for those who eat eggs), packed with protein and flavor. At four ingredients, it's a great dish to have in your culinary arsenal when you need a quick side or main meal.

It's the trifecta! Fast, yummy and healthy!

All you need:
  • Zucchini
  • 1/2 of a white onion (per zucchini)
  • 2 minced garlic cloves (per zucchini)
  • 1 egg (per zucchini)
  • Olive oil
  • Salt and pepper

Slice the zucchini in half, then slice each half into half moons.

Slice onion in half, then into strips.

Heat a large sauté pan to a little above medium. Get the onions and garlic working, and sauté for a couple of minutes, or when the onions just start to become translucent. Then add the zucchini. Sauté for a couple more minutes, or until zucchini just start to lose their firmness. Add salt and pepper to taste.

Whisk the eggs in a separate bowl - they need to get ready to join in on the fun. (They like to pre-funk a little bit and hang out on the counter til they get to room temperature.)

Push the cooking zucchini party to one side of your pan, add a little more oil if needed, and scramble the eggs in the newly created space. Once the eggs get to a soft scramble, begin mixing everything together and reduce heat.

Plate, serve, enjoy!

Theres something magical that happens when these foods play together. It's somewhat creamy and decadent. (I am so making those mmmm yummy noises in my head...right...now. I'm on the bus. People are staring.)

No comments:

Post a Comment