My photo
I love food. I love cooking. I love sharing food. It's the one gift you can give someone that they take inside of themselves and forever becomes a part of them. Food is more than fuel. It's a feeling, a memory, a cure, a gift, a toy..... My recipes aren't exact. There's room for substitutions, discovery, experimentation and play. Anything can be healthy with a few tweaks, or comforting with a few more. Many of my recipies are veggie friendly with just the omittance of meat, never lacking in flavour. The sky is the limit -Variety is the spice of life!

Saturday, January 7, 2012

Food for thought: Ingredients

The fresher the better.

After a failed attempt at gardening in soil that's not meant to be gardened in, I had a huge hole in my culinary heart. Most organic produce is expensive, hard to find in variety (can you tell I like variety yet?), and sold under a guise. Through a friend at work I found Full Circle. A home delivery service that brings locally Grown or produced organic goods right to your door. They not only grow their own produce but they reach out to other local farmers for a farm to table program that's just..amaizing.

My first delivery sent me into shock. I'm used to the hefty 5 pound bag of potato that I get for $2 or so. As part of my delivery, I got a little sack of beautiful fingerlings. What...? But after cooking only half the sock, That made a meal easily and then some, I discovered I bought too much previously...and bought poorly. Not only was the sock enough to feed us for a couple of meals, it was local, and supporting our community. My previous Extra Large 5 pound purchase was not only mass produced, but would sometimes go to waste.

It opened my eyes. Quality isn't that hard to find, but recognizing it is harder. Our bigger better culture has taught us to "find the deal". What's it worth?

2 comments:

  1. I have been a customer of Full Circle off an on for about 7 years. I agree it is a bit shocking at first when you see how little you get for your money but the taste cannot be beat. I almost cannot eat non organic potatoes anymore. I think they have absolutely no flavor. However, the one veggie I cannot seem to find of good quality any longer whether organic or not is the radish. I absolutely love radishes but what happened to the bold crisp and peppery flavor of the radish? It seems to have disappeared. Even the ones from Full Circle are spongy with no depth of flavor. Perhaps I will grow some this year but I'm not optimistic about the results. I can barely keep my lawn green!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so hooked on full circle! It's the next best thing to growing yourself.

    ReplyDelete