My photo
I love food. I love cooking. I love sharing food. It's the one gift you can give someone that they take inside of themselves and forever becomes a part of them. Food is more than fuel. It's a feeling, a memory, a cure, a gift, a toy..... My recipes aren't exact. There's room for substitutions, discovery, experimentation and play. Anything can be healthy with a few tweaks, or comforting with a few more. Many of my recipies are veggie friendly with just the omittance of meat, never lacking in flavour. The sky is the limit -Variety is the spice of life!

Saturday, January 7, 2012

Food for thought: We need to get to the butcher...stat!

So here it is, only early January and our meat supply has dwindled to a wild salmon fillet, some sturgeon and some ground grass-fed beef. It's been challenging for me to come up with creative ways to mix things up.


We are so fortunate to be able to catch our own wild food, and I'm grateful, thankful and - ok, and a little spoiled ;) but....I'm dying for some new meat to play with. While I die, I have been trying to get creative.
The last sturgeon recipe was a total experiment - I tried cooking "poor mans lobster". The method is simple: cut sturgeon into 1 inch cubes, then boil in 7up and serve with a seasoned melted butter. (a side note: part of my love of cooking involves the sourcing and the prep. It's not too satisfying to hunt 7up and prep it. Trust me. I tried making it interesting by dancing barefoot and sipping brandy while listening to The Killers. It helped a little.)
Since it was my first time making poor mans lobster, I didn't want to mess with the "recipe" (found online). And let's face it - due to the simple yet processed main braising liquid, the dish would either be horrible or amazing. Well - after trying it out, we actually liked it! Its definitely a try again dish. Because I like to play, and don't want to make cooking our food in soda a habit, I could see swapping the soda out for a salted water sweetened with agave or raw sugar. That could possibly turn it into a favorite.
Here's a pic of the plate: I served it up with a cauliflower mash with salted black truffle and a little Italian dish of sautéed zucchini, egg garlic and mushroom. Now....thinking of lunch.....





No comments:

Post a Comment